top of page


"Often I have been exhausted on trout streams, uncomfortable, wet, cold, briar scarred, sunburned, mosquito bitten, but never, with a fly rod in my hand have I been less than in a place that was less than beautiful." 

-Charles Kuralt

Depending on your fishing location, you need to have the appropriate license to be on a guided trip with Long Outfitting. If you are 15 years or older and are fishing on any water in the state of Montana, with the exception of a few private lakes, you need to obtain a Montana fishing license. These are available online prior to your arrival, and are sold in 2 consecutive day increments. Once your booking is complete, we can discuss where you might be fishing and what license will best meet your needs. If the weather looks like it might be unsettled during your scheduled trip dates, we highly suggest that you wait to get a license at a local fly shop. Many times we have a scheduled float trip on the Yellowstone River, and a huge rain event sends a mud plug down the river that makes us go to Plan B which might involve a different license.


If you have a trip scheduled to fish in Yellowstone National Park and are 16 years old or older, you will need a different license. These are not computerized, and can be purchased at a local fly shop or at a visitor center inside of the Park. Yellowstone Park licenses are sold in 3 day, 7 day, and season increments. Parts of Yellowstone Park are in Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming, so a state license is not required to fish, just a Yellowstone park license. Clients are also required to pay for or have a valid vehicle entrance pass during guide trips. These are sold in week long or season long durations for a reasonable fee.



bottom of page